How will the County notify me of a flood emergency and evacuation?

The County will post emergency notifications to this website, broadcast them through local and regional media outlets, contact residents with its telephone notification system (Wide Area Response Network or "W.A.R.N.") and send text message alerts to those registered in the County’s system. Emergency instructions will provide information about when to evacuate and safe evacuation routes. Register for the County’s emergency text notifications here.


If the County issues an evacuation order, am I required to leave?

No, but the County strongly recommends that you comply with the evacuation order. If you choose to stay on your property, it is likely that there will be no emergency service personnel available to rescue you, if you need it, because they will be dealing with the wider-scale emergency. You should plan to be self-sufficient for at least three days. This means providing your own first-aid, food, heat, sanitation, shelter and water.


What do I do if there’s an evacuation, but my family members are in different places?

As part of your family’s emergency plan, identify an out-of-town contact who all family members will call to inform him/her of their location and status. This is important because local communication systems may be down, but outside calls and text messaging may be possible. Just as importantly, pre-select an out-of-the-area meeting place where family members can reunite, and make sure all family members are aware of the physical address and phone number for this location. Use the Family Emergency Plan page on this website to help get you started.


I don’t have any transportation. What should I do in an evacuation?

As part of your emergency planning, prearrange with family, a neighbor, or nearby friend to provide transportation in the event of an emergency. The County and emergency service personnel will have very limited resources to provide assistance. However, if you have no other options, please contact the County’s transportation hotline at (530) 749-7701. The sooner you contact the County, the more likely it is that transportation may be provided.


What special planning is needed for those with access and functional needs?

Because everyone’s needs are different, it’s very important to prepare by developing a Family Emergency Plan. In developing your plan, make sure to include family, friends, coworkers and others who can provide help at a moment’s notice. Identify at least three people in every location where time is regularly spent (home, school, work, etc.). Pre-arrange for transportation, and develop back-up plans for in-home assistance providers, if used. Review the Access and Functional Needs information on this website’s Family Emergency Plan page, and also Yuba County’s Emergency Plan Workbook for People with Disabilities and Their Families.


What about my pets?

In the event of an evacuation, do not leave your pets behind. The best option is to identify a friend or relative out-of-the-area who will allow you to stay with your pet. County shelters will not accept pets, but the County will do everything possible to provide safe animal shelters in close proximity to shelters for their human family members. Don’t forget to bring a kennel, special foods, medications, or other supplies for your pet, regardless of where you plan to stay.


How can I sign up for emergency text alerts from the County?

Register here for text alerts. It’s easy! Your contact information will not be used for any other purpose than emergency text notifications.


In the event of an emergency, should I use my cell phone?

In some cases, cellular networks may be overwhelmed and calls may not be possible. Emergency service personnel may ask residents to refrain from making calls to ensure enough “room” on the cellular network for emergency communications. However, even in these instances text messaging and internet usage may be possible. Teach family members how to use text messaging on the cell phones. Make sure to include back-up batteries and battery-powered cell phone chargers in your family’s emergency kit.


Do I really need flood insurance?

The County strongly recommends that residents purchase flood insurance. Flooding can come from many different sources, including backed up storm drains and very heavy rainfall. As little as six inches of water can cause thousands of dollars in household damage. Most homeowners’ insurance policies do not cover flood damages. Lowest-cost flood insurance is available through the National Flood Insurance Program and is a wise investment.


My home was damaged by a flood. Now what?

Please report damages to the Office of Emergency Services as soon as reasonably possible. Online submission of damage reports is strongly encouraged. This will help local officials in securing disaster relief funding that will help you and others with the recovery process. Online submission of damage reports is strongly encouraged. You may visit this website to enter reports electronically, or contact the Office of Emergency Services for assistance if you do not have computer access. If you have flood insurance, be sure to contact your insurance company to arrange for a visit from an insurance adjustor. Most insurance companies will assign extra staff to ensure damages can be assessed quickly.  Visit the Recover section of this website for more information.


What precautions should I take when returning home?

Do not return until you are advised by local officials that it is safe. When returning home, stay out of flooded areas for health and safety reasons. Do not bypass barricades on roads. They are there to ensure your safety. Enter your home only if it is safe. Be careful of hidden damage, especially in flooring and utilities located below the line left by floodwater. Visit the Returning Home section of this website for more information.


Where can I get help after a flood event?

Following a flood emergency, the County Office of Emergency Services will partner with other emergency service agencies and providers to set up Local Assistance Centers, as needed and appropriate. In that case, locations of the assistance centers will be announced and posted on this website. The centers are designed to provide a one-stop location for information and resources to help disaster victims. Visit the Getting Help page on this website for more information.


How can I volunteer to help during a flood emergency?

Requests for specific needs and skills will be posted to this website as needed before, during and after an emergency event. Before an emergency happens, consider training to become a volunteer with the Red Cross, Salvation Army, United Way or other non-profit service organization. Visit the Volunteer Opportunities page for more information.


How can I determine the flood risk for my property?

There is always some risk of flooding. Flood risk is figured by calculating the chance of flooding, depth of flooding, and the damages if a flood occurs. Properties located in low- to moderate-risk flood zones have a lesser chance of flooding than those in high-risk flood zones. Properties in high-risk flood zones have a 25 percent chance of flooding over the life of a 30-year mortgage. However, 20 percent of all flood damage insurance claims come from low- to-moderate risk flood zones. Visit the Levee Maps page for tools and links to help you better understand the flood risk for your property.